1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

swollen right breast?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abelseville, May 19, 2008.

1. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    Ok, Ive been very puzzled ever since I started keeping chickens just over a year ago that most of my chickens seem to have an asymetrical protrusion of the right breast. Is this normal? Is it a sign of something wrong?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Thats their crop - they must be well fed! [​IMG]

3. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    yeah,
    it's just their crop where they store food. u don't have to worry about it. [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Their crop will usually empty over night, so some of the "swelling" will go away, then as they eat it will fill up again.

5. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    thanks, you guys are great!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    OMG!! I know this is an old thread, but I have been so worried about my chickens!! It seems every day there is a new one in the afternoon with the 'lopsided breast'. I was thinking "my God!! What is wrong with my chickens???" [​IMG] I'm so glad to know that this is normal!! I think this should be a sticky, if it's not already!! [​IMG] I feel so silly! [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL....I just got my first Turken babies....you should see how it looks on them!!! [​IMG]

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    As everyone else has posted- it is the crop, but something you should consider doing to better acquaint yourself with chicken anatomy- is go into the coop at night and feel the crop (should be soft, but full- you can actually feel grain/pellets inside- like a water balloon filled with soft oatmeal). Catch a chicken as it exits the coop in the morning- try to find the empty crop- hard to do!
    Get to know what your normal chickens feel like, so you can better recognize a problem before the chicken is really ill....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by