Swollen Runny-Eyed D'Uccle Rooster

handletheze

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013

Here are photos of my d'uccle rooster Buckley. He is an old guy that I rescued and has become the love of my life. Sorry that the pics are blurry-hard to hold him and take a picture at the same time. As you can see the area around his eyes is very swollen and there is a smelly discharge. His breathing is somewhat labored also. His nasal passages are clogged with mucus. Buckley's appetite is fair to poor and he is lethargic. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what I should do ? Thank you in advance for your help. Gayla

Last edited:
It sounds like coryza from the swollen runny eyes and bad odor, and you should isolate him from the others. Has he been around any new chickens in the last few days or weeks that could have been a carrier? Treatment with Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine) or Sulmet might help symptoms. Tylan50 injection can also be used along with sulfa to treat secondary diseases. Coryza is extremely contagious and can infect your whole flock. Culling would be the best way to control the disease spread, but if you don't wish to cull him ssince he is so speial to you, at least close your flock to any new birds in or selling or giving away birds. Sorry about your little guy. Also what is going on with his comb? Is there some crusts on there that could be pox or favus? Here are a couple of links to read about coryza:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...overview_of_infectious_coryza_in_poultry.html

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply ! He is relatively isolated from the rest of my birds already. I just can't bring myself to cull him. He is the only one with any symptoms and I do not plan to sell or trade any of the rest of the flock. Thanks for the info on coryza. That sure does sound like what he has. Any suggestions as to what I could give him orally that would help ? I would hate to have to give him injections as he is a tiny guy. The only needles that I have available are large bore needles that I use to medicate my goats. As far as his comb-I think that he got a touch of frostbite this winter and the yellowish stuff is from his eyes/nose that he will not allow me to clean off. He is a stubborn little old guy who has already had a tough life. I got him and his "mrs." together but, alas, she was taken by either a fox or a coyote despite the constant "patrolling" of my pit bulls. It happened during the day as my birds free range during the day but are inside at night.

Gayla

I have a soft spot for mille fleur d'uccles since I have a pair of them--they are so sweet--the little hen jumps up on my shoulder to be held, but Sarge the rooster does not like to be handled. The Di-Methox or Sulmet can be put in his water, and the Tylan50 injection can also be given orally--1/4 ml or cc by mouth once a day for 5 days.
Sulmet dosage is 1 ounce per gallon of water for 2 days, then 1/2 ounce per gallon for 4 more days.
The Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine dosage is on the packet below--or 2/3 tsp per gallon of water.
Remember, use the Sulmet or the Di-Methox/sulfadimethoxine, not both. Then if you wish, use the Tylan 50 orally as well. Good luck.

sulfadimethoxine_thumb_large_popup.jpg

Thanks so much for your reply ! I did give the Tylan 50: .25 ml/c orally for ten days with absolutely no change in the symptoms. In your opinion do you think that he has coryza or mycoplasma ?

I would guess it is coryza from the odor, nasal secretions, and swollen eyes with drainage. Testing would be the only way to know for sure. I would get the Sulmet or sulfadimethoxine and give him a course of treatment. Also give him some probiotics to replace his gut bacteria, either by putting them in his water or by giving small amounts of either buttermilk or plain yogurt in his food.

Thank you so much for your help ! I really appreciate it a lot. Now here are a couple of dumb blonde questions (since I AM a blonde ! lol) My flock are free range so I am going to have to cage him aren't I to make sure that he is getting the medicated water ? And, being as he is so little, will he actually drink enough of the medicated water to make a difference ? Can I make it up ahead of time and keep it in the fridge ? As a disabled RN I am very familiar with "people" meds and am becoming more familiar with "goat" meds but am at a loss when it comes to chickens so I am HUGELY grateful for any and all the help that I can get.

Back
Top Bottom