swollen shut eyes and mucus everywhere

Cheergardens

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
My 20 week old Sussex's eyes are swollen shut and she has lots of mucus oozing from her mouth, nose and eyes.

In reading all the posts and what could possible be wrong with her I don't know if it is terminal or not. It seem to me that chickens are very sickly.

We bought 5 chickens about a month ago. One of them had a respiratory problem and I gave her some anitbiotic and she got better. Now this one is sick with what seems different.

Anybody have advice?

Quote:
Yeah, that sounding like Infectious Coryza... I had that run through my coop and there isn't anything you can do. There is no cure for it, none that I could find years ago when it ran through my hens. You can treat it but symptoms return a few months later. What I had to do was basically put down all my hens even if they were showing no symptoms since they had been exposed.

We made the mistake, just starting with chickens, of getting them from a really awful farm that clearly had the disease running through it. When first symptoms showed in our hens the lady who sold them to us told us it was just a cold and it would pass. After loosing tons of birds since we had added more to our flock it was obvious that wasn't true.

I wish you luck. I hope it isn't Infectious Coryza...

Pine Grove is correct. That's my method of cure, or will be if I ever have that in my flock. So far, I haven't had any respiratory illness. They remain carriers for life and will infect your healthy birds, even when they dont show symptoms. Not a pleasant thought at all. If it smells horrible, it's most likely Coryza.

what antibiotic did you use?

you can treat the symptoms using Tylan 200, or Tylan 50 injectible..
or erythromycin

but if the hen has Coryza..and gets better..
as the others have posted..she will always be a carrier, and during times of stress it can re-occur.
sorry.

Back
Top Bottom