Swollen side of face, Cyst Surgery

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Yoda, May 14, 2011.

1. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Hi,
    My 2 yr old BS (Aries) has been fighting with the older pied male (I got from Deerman), then they stopped for the past few days. Today the younger BS finally came down from the top of the shed and he has an infection on the side of his face. What do I give him? Here are a few gross pics of it. Any and all help is appreciated!
    Thanks Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Oh no! [​IMG] Thats is just horrible you need to seperate them ASAP. Let it heal on its own. Don't put him back in that pen, build him a perminate seperate pen with his own hens is what I would do!

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    If you can try to draw the pus from the area an absess can form and kill it from heat/infection near the brain. A hypodermic needle will work. and clean the area with iodine when done but don't get it in the eye.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Perhaps some antibiotics in his drinking water might be a good idea......To help fight this infection....Poor thing!

5. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    This is not all that uncommon in pheasants and peas.
    Clear any nasal blockage first and separate until cured. Second is to inject 1 mL of Tylan into the fleshy swollen pocket below the eye. In a couple of days it should look better. Once the infection is gone if the selling stays you will have to lance the area below the eye and drain out the infection. You are not at this point yet. Do not inject anything into the actual eye, just below it. Good luck

6. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Separate them and do not wait to let it heal on its own it could blind him in that eye or kill him. Draw it out with a syringe, if it is too dense to do that you will have to cut it open with a box cutter or something else sharp. When doing this cut away from the eye so you do not risk cutting a bit to far and blinding him. You are incredibly lucky he is alive, infections like this usually kill males because their sinuses are larger than the hens and the infected material runs into their lungs and kills them. In short operate asap

7. konopswj

konopswj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
  8. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Ok, how does one drain the infection? Do I put two needle "holes" and flush water through one and it comes out the other? Will the needle on the syringe be big enough to draw out the mucus? I do not know what exactly draw out means. Please understand that I will be messing around the birds eyes and I will not have any room for error on my end.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Poking a hole with a sterile needle and squeezing like a pimple gently will get most of it out.

10. doudini2

doudini2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    You could quickly go to a vet, as cutting may be dangerous. what if he twitches or does not let you do it?Also for infection, a tea tree oil is good topically. Oral antibiotic is important, as the draining may not get rid of the actual infection, just the puss.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by