swollen sinus? or something stuck in her eye? *PIC added*

chica-z

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Northern WI
I noticed this swelling on my 7 month old RIR pullet yesterday. She has no other symptoms, no discharge, is active and eating, and it's only in front of her right eye. The left side is completely normal.

I checked the inside of her mouth to see if her sinuses were crusted over or something, and it all looks fine in there. Any ideas??

Um...the upload WON'T go through (probably cause I got dialup?). So I can't post my pics, the best I can describe it is this: it's a clear bubble in front and above her eye, it looks kind of like her third eyelid is swelling? Not the red part, but the clear part behind it.

That doesn't make any sense. Anybody have any tips on how to get my pic posted? I'll keep trying...

Last edited:
The eye will eventually close and she will get worse. It is VERY contagious, called One-eye cold. Bacterial virus. Take all infected birds away from healthy ones after examining their eyes and sinuses.

I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone yet on how to treat it. I use Tylan. But infected birds are carriers for up to a year.

May, don't tell me that!!! I SO didn't want to hear that.
sad.png

Some things I forgot to mention, her poop seems normal, and the coop has pine shavings. The run is dirt with hay on top.

And DLS, I rarely go to the doc myself...I am NOT taking a chicken to one! Plus, there's no chicken doctor in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Whoops, it's already been 36 hours, and still kickin'
lol.png
Is Tylan prescription?

The upload still isn't working, but I DO have the picture...anyone?? I spent who knows how long trying to get a good picture, it'd be a shame not to post it
tongue.png

Anyone else had the ole One-eyed cold??

Last edited:
I would treat with the terrimicyn eye drops, Tylan can also be dropped into the eye. If there is no nasal discharge, trouble breathing or wheezing in chest, it could be she got something in her eye. I would flush her eye with saline and apply one of the meds mentioned.

Thanks chickenzoo, I'll try the eye flush...that sounds like fun!
lol.png
Gosh I'm glad there's no candid camera in my coop, it'd be darn tootin' funny.

I checked her this morning and her eye seems the same, MABEY a wee bit less swollen. Still no other symptoms, and no one else is showing any either. I got up extra early this morning so I could peer in to their lovely little chicken faces while they were still on the roost. It's so much better than chasing each one down to check them. Plus, they all look alike
lol.png

Can I get the terrimicyn at somewhere like walgreens? We're going into town tomorrow, so I might be able to get some then. The local feed store is closed sundays. If I can't get them, will she be okay without the meds? Any other salve I could use, like Neosporin (we have some) though I'm not sure if that's safe to put in her eye...

Is that in fact her sinuses, or are her sinuses below her eye??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom