Swollen sinus? Please advise?

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
My 18 week Buckeye, Jezebel suddenly has a swollen bump on her face. I want to know what I should do, as it is getting dark and I don't have a light in the coop.

Can someone help me?
Photos below:

[/IMG]

Just want to add that at this point there is no other symptom... No sneezing, no discharge.

Please help me so I can get this treated early. I have some meds... Pls advise.

Last edited:
Anyone? Please?
I have Tylan 50... But no needles. Is this appropriate? Can I give it by mouth? If so, what dose?

I also have Tetroxy HCA-280 soluble powder.

Last edited:
I have a feeling not many people have come across this problem before. I'm not about to be a great help either, but I don't think Tylan 50 is really appropriate, but then again, I don't know that much about it. Could it be an infection or a bug or something? Or maybe she bruised it or cut it and now it's swelling? Sorry I couldn't be very helpful. Good luck!

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it just to know someone is reading my post. I believe it is fairly known, if not common, since there are many threads on this, but there are so many possibilities. Pecking is one and there is a lot of that going on, but I don't see any specific injuries. Sinus infection or coryza are possibilities too.i just don't want to wait and for it to get worse when I could have been doing something. It's a terrible feeling.

I have tylan as a yellow powder 0.5 mg per dose
Dissolved in water( really had to dissolve it goes like toffee!
Warmer the water the easier
It doesn't look like an infection though, could it be a wasp or bee sting?

Today there are a couple of tiny scabs, so I think the others have pecked at it overnight.
She seems totally fine otherwise but it does seem a bit bigger today. No signs of a sting that I can tell.

I have Tetroxy HCA soluble powder. Should I give this to the whole flock in their water or should I wait it out ?
If so, does anyone know the dosage?

Update: So....there were no local vets that will see a chicken except for one that isn't seeing new patients. Another vet further away will only accept a chicken as an emergency patient, so $100 just to walk in the door.
Jezebel's swelling is about the same, perhaps a hair smaller?

I have removed all sources of water and replaced them with one waterer treated with Tetroxy HCA-280 (3 tsp to 1.5gal based on posts here at BYC).

Also, I will order syringes just to have them on hand, but can someone let me know the correct size needle or perhaps a reputable place to get them? I am looking on Amazon at the moment but not sure what to look for.

Thanks so so much if you can advise me. These are my first chickens and I don't really have anyone near me to ask.

Thanks,
jonalisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom