swollen thigh, yellowish skin, infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buttercup0884, Jan 29, 2012.

1. buttercup0884

buttercup0884 The Farm Girl at Twilight

Apr 30, 2011
    Ararat
    I have a 11 month old LF Eng. Orp cockeral, who developed a limp about a month ago now. At first I thought he had pulled something because of his size, and always being on the highest roost.
    Today though I am not so sure. He has been inside, confined and well cared for, with little to no improvement. He is alert, eating and drinking well, just can't walk with out a limp or what my DH refers to as "kickstarting" the leg in question (he is referring to the motion used by bikers to start their engines).
    Today I decided to investigate further, and noticed that the swelling in his leg has gotten worse, and after pushing through all of his fluff found the skin to be a yellowish color but only on that part of his body...any ideas as to what could be causing this? and what can I do to help him in terms of medications. I did a little research and it seems he may have an infection causing the swelling and yellow skin, but I need advice as to what to give him to clear it up.

2. lovemyprettybirds

lovemyprettybirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Cellulitis can cause s yellowing of the skin, here's a picture from one of my poultry disease atlases:

It's an inflammation of the connective tissues caused when a certain strain of the E.coli bacteria enters the body through a wound. It can be a very minor wound. From what I've read, it doesn't usually cause readily detectable symptoms like lameness, though. I know this is a long-shot and your rooster may have something completely different, but if you decide to treat for cellulitis the option would be an antibiotic. Hopefully, someone else will be able to narrow this down more for you. I wish you the best! [​IMG]

3. possibly mites. we had a rooster with yellowish skin. we were able to rub it off before he went into the freezer[​IMG] but we not quite sure

4. lovemyprettybirds

lovemyprettybirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I don't know what happened with my earlier post, but I will try again.

Cellulitis can cause s yellowing of the skin, here's a picture from one of my poultry disease atlases:

[​IMG]

It's an inflammation of the connective tissues caused when a certain strain of the E.coli bacteria enters the body through a wound. It can be a very minor wound. From what I've read, it doesn't usually cause readily detectable symptoms like lameness, though. I know this is a long-shot and your rooster may have something completely different, but if you decide to treat for cellulitis the option would be an antibiotic. Hopefully, someone else will be able to narrow this down more for you. I wish you the best! [​IMG]

5. buttercup0884

Apr 30, 2011
    Ararat
    Its yellow under his skin.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could it be a healing bruise which will start out as green and then work its way to a sallow yellow color before fading? If it's a bruise, then he had a heck of an injury to take this long to come to the surface- possibly even a fracture to the leg. That would lead to a great deal of swelling, too.

Does the yellow area feel hot to the touch? An infection will be noticeably warmer than the surrounding area.

7. buttercup0884

Apr 30, 2011
    Ararat
    It is noticeably warmer than his other leg. I got the pen. and will be administering it here shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by