swollen throat wattles

GuineaFowling

Songster
Oct 3, 2013
California
CD45FC42-8523-44A7-B695-198695B6E8ED.jpeg
BC321189-7489-47D8-AB11-C4D478A8D734.jpeg
431EE0D5-FBC0-4578-89CF-EC9AE8131876.jpeg
His little wattles and throat looks swollen. He’s eating and acting fine so I’m not sure what could be causing it.

What were the orinal symptoms of your first ones with the respiratory disease? Did any have bubbles or foam in an eye or swelling of eyelids or face? Was it mostly sneezing? Doxycycline would help if it was MG, but won’t treat a virus, such as infectious bronchitis or ILT. I would recommend only treating the ones who show symptoms.
Chicks can sneeze sometimes during and after eating from dust in the feed or in the environment. Unless one is sneezing often, it may not be an infection.

@Eggcessive The first group had frequent wet sneezes and two chicks were constantly fluffed up and hunched. Lethargic. No bubbles or swelling. I administered enroflaxocine to them and they recovered. I only have one bird from the first group.

The current brood had frequent wet sneezes too. They’re all active and lively. They look normal save for the little guy pictured. Swelling doesn’t appear to have gone down. I think I’ll administer enroflaxocine to him orally if he’s not looking better by tomorrow.

Testing a sick chick would be the best way to narrow down what disease you are dealing with. The most common respiratory diseases are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) coryza, ILT, ORT, and the fungal disease, aspergillosis from mold. IB will make the survivors carriers for 5 months to a year, but many others can make them carriers for life. Testing can be done through your state vet, a willing local vet, or through a commercial lab, such as Zoologix. Here is a good list of those diseases and their symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Any evidence of a sting or tick bite? Any respiratory symptoms or illness in the flock? How old is he, and how much does he weigh?

He is a month old. It could be a sting but I’m not sure. The chicks are currently being medicated with Doxycycline because I noticed some of them sneezing. My last group of chicks had respiratory issues so I began medication immediately when I noticed symptoms for this group. However, they are on day 6 of treatment and I haven’t noticed wet sneezes from them after starting.

Back
Top Bottom