Swollen Throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rusticpumpkins, Aug 29, 2016.

1. rusticpumpkins

rusticpumpkins Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    GA, USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my mama hen, Bandit, that currently has 5 chicks. Today her throat is swollen and she's making swallowing motions. I haven't checked for discharge from her throat yet, I'm waiting for someone to help keep the chicks in the cage so they don't get hurt. I'm very concerned because she does have chicks (as well as just being attached to her). :-(
    I haven't seen anything like this before, I've had chickens get crop sour but it was always more like a lump than just being swollen.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am not good with medical stuff but maybe someone will chime in. Sorry she is ill.

1 person likes this.
  3. rusticpumpkins

rusticpumpkins Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    GA, USA
    She's actually ok I think! I looked at her throat and it was a large soild lump and I looked inside and right behind her tongue was a mass of feed. I picked some out with a stick and managed to disloge it. She swallowed it fine. Her throat appears slightly swollen still but she isnt making the swallowing motions randomly so I'm thinking she'll be ok. :) I've never had a chicken get a mass of food stuck in their throats before though. So I'm keeping a close eye on her and hoping there isnt an underlying cause.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Good catch. Glad she's ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by