Swollen toe, abcess(?) on neck? *Pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlakesWife, Aug 25, 2010.

1. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    One of my little buff chickies was alone by itself in the corner today. Figured it was tired but then noticed it barely getting up to move when it did want to move. Chick seems bad off in terms of health because it was nearly immobile, very tired, just--not good. Picked it up and realized it's toe is swollen. Not sure what it is or how to fix it. Aside from the toe problem, chick just doesn't seem like it has much longer to live. It huddles in a corner to sleep, barely wants to move, seems like the energy is just not there. I do have yogurt, but it's for my sons and it's flavored so Im not sure if I can even use it. What else can I do to get this chick bouncing around?
    As far as his toe, it's not really red, I dont seen any scab or any open wound, so to speak, so what gives? What'd he do to his toe? Here's a pic to help. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    how sad [​IMG]
    I don't think it is very promising for your little one... but here is a bump hoping for some experts

(can you get it to drink sugar water? or eat boiled /scrambled egg? Maybe soak it in warm epsom salts until someone comes through? Whatever you do, make sure it stays warm and hydrated)

3. BlakesWife

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    I did the episom salt. Not sure what else to do at this point. I looked up bumblefoot and I think that's what it is, but there's no scab yet. I noticed though that he's missing a finger nail on the back toe (its got the brown spot on it, on the infected foot, in the photo) . Wonder if that's the culprit if it is bumblefoot.

4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    bump

5. BlakesWife

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Now I noticed what looks to be a pus filled either air bubble or abcess near it's shoulder on the opposite side of it's body. What the heck happened to this little chicken? Are the problems related or different?

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    He may have some sort of systemic infection if he is developing pustules on other parts of his body and I would get him on a good general purpose antibiotic pronto. Couldn't hurt. You might try lancing the foot infection and cleaning it out with dilute betadine and then rub on a non-pain killing antibiotic ointment. topical pain killers are lethal to chickens.

The bubble on the shoulder might just be a ruptured airsac, which is the equivalent to a bruise.

Good luck with your chick!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by