swollen toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RRBlair, Apr 3, 2018.

1. RRBlair

RRBlair Hatching

Apr 3, 2018
    I'm a new chick Mom so please be patient with me ! I have a 3 week old Orpington that I noticed yesterday that one of her toes was slightly swollen and red just at the joint area and splayed out to the side more so than other foot , she was limping slightly but is doing better today ( toe still swollen ) . She's eating and drinking just like the others and goes wild in her dust baths ! Just a worried new chick mom !?!?!

2. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Do you have pictures?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Pictures really can help. Toes can become curled to the side for reasons of incubation temperature, flucuations and heredity. If they are caught very earlier in the first few days, sometimes making a chick shoe with tape and cardboard can help to straighten them. I have never had luck with that past the second week.

4. RRBlair

RRBlair Hatching

Apr 3, 2018
    Sorry for slow reply couldn't upload pic ! This is day 4 ?!?!? She is acting normal & growing like others ?

Attached Files:

5. RRBlair

RRBlair Hatching

Apr 3, 2018

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can see the swelling in her toe. Does it look to be an injury or infection? Can you see any sores or scabs? I am glad that she is doing well.

7. RRBlair

RRBlair Hatching

Apr 3, 2018
    No sores ! I think its just an injury ? I have named her Stella The Stub Toe since this event . Would you suggest taping it up or just leave it ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: