Swollen toe :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mirandaleecon, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I just noticed one of my chickens standing on one foot and when I checked her out it looks like there is a scab on the bottom of her toe and some swelling in that area. Now that I think about it, she has been doing a goofy gallop run lately but I just thought she was being goofy. Any idea of how I could treat it??

[​IMG]

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Looks like bumble foot. You'll likely need to do surgery to remove the kernel, then treat with Vetericyn and bandage.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If you search Bumble Foot Surgery there is a great thread that walks you through the surgery. It is really not too difficult. You do need to complete it because it can get worse and in the worst cases kill your bird.

That one isn't bad and should be pretty easy for you. Good luck.

4. mirandaleecon

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Just watched a video of a bumblefoot surgery. Ew. Poor little chicken :(

5. mirandaleecon

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Thank you! I do feel a bit better that it is on her toe and not the pad of her foot. Seems like it won't be so painful...anyone have experience using a biopsy punch or should I just stick with a scalpel?

6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Amazingly, they really don't seem to feel it, at least they don't react like I would if someone stuck a knife in my foot. I have done this more than once and I am a medically squeamish person. Once I got over my initial fear of hurting my bird, it really wasn't hard. You just have to have patience and an assistant is nice. It makes it easier.

Good luck.

7. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I used a box cutter with a fresh razor blade.

8. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I like the scalpel, especially if you have to dig a little for the kernel. I'm always amazed at how quickly a towel over their head calms them.

9. mirandaleecon

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Yes, I am lucky to have an awesome boyfriend who is willing to help me with all my animal shenanigans. You should see us trying to chase our goats around just so we can trim their hooves!

10. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG] yeah for supportive guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by