Swollen toes, doesn't look like bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenManTN, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ChickenManTN

ChickenManTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    I have BCM chicks that are 9 weeks old. We had sub zero temperatures a couple weeks ago and they stayed very close to the lamp for days. I did not notice until it was too late that they had been pooping and standing in it during that cold spell. They had plenty of house space, but they stayed in the warm spot. Three of the chicks had swollen toes and were high-stepping as if their feet hurt. Two of them were slow-feathering and scrawny before the toe problem so I culled them. One of them is my favorite. He has tight, beautiful plumage, good coloring, and is the most charming character of the flock. He was bleeding around one claw when I caught the problem. I cleaned the bedding (pine shavings). The swelling went down and the bleeding stopped, but he lost a couple claws and the swelling didn't completely go away. There is no wire flooring or anything that should snag a chicken's claw in their house. Now it has been a couple weeks and his toes are still swollen. It looks like they are swelling more than they were a few days ago. He doesn't walk as if his feet hurt and he scratches just as much as anyone else. Their bedding is clean, and they spend most of the day outside now that it is warmer. I'm pretty sure its not bumble foot. The pads of his feet look fine. The pads of the culled chicks' feet looked normal also. There are no large bulges, just a general swelling of the toes. One foot is swollen more than the other. Does anyone have an idea as to what this may be? Is this a condition which would make him a poor breeding candidate? His character and coloring are awesome & I really want him to be a papa some day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you sure that he is not suffering from frostbite of his feet? That might explain the loss of claws and swelling. Epsom salt warm soaks to the feet twice a day might help him. Coconut oil, BagBalm, or Neosporin would be good to apply to the swollen or irritated areas. Be sure that he is completely dry before putting him back out--or just keep him inside for a week to doctor him.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is either frostbite or an infection has set in from loss of claws. Are his feet hot to touch any signs of necrotic tissue? Try the epsom salt soaks as Eggcessive suggested this is great for swelling/sprains/sore muscles and for cleaning. Check to see if there is any debris stuck inside cavity where nails have fallen out,if so clean this very well. You can use a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide or use full strength if there is an infection(any foul smell from this area).

4. ChickenManTN

ChickenManTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    Thank you for your replies. I should have taken a closer look sooner. It is frostbite. I didn't want the wind to steal their heat so I put a tarp over the house on the days when it got really cold. I have read since then that poor ventilation can raise humidity & contribute to frostbite. It looks like I caused the very problem I was trying to prevent.

He hasn't lost any claws; it just looks like the claws are gone because of the swelling. Two of his toes have a little black dot on the underside, right at the tip. I'll get some Epsom salts and Neosporin for him.

Thanks again for your help.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't feel bad. This year there have been way more cases of frostbite everywhere. It is good that you asked for help on here. Please give us an update here on this thread on his condition later when you have time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by