Swollen Two Week Old Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rose66, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I brought home four 2 day old chicks and put them under my silkie hens whom immediately accepted them and have been raising them perfectly. The chicks are two weeks old now and seem to be running around healthy. However, one of the chicks is really swollen in its body. The skin is so swollen that in places the skin has no feathers. When you pick the chick up, I immediately thought, "wow, this chick is really heavy and swollen." I checked for pasty butt and it was clean. The other three chicks are completely normal. Any idea as to what could cause a chick to swell up?

Thanks,
    Rose66

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I know you said it's butt is clean, but have you seen it poop? If you swab it with a warm wet cloth does it poop?

3. Rose66

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I don't know about whether it's pooping or not. Should I go get it out from under it's mom now and swab it with a warm wet cloth or wait until the morning?

4. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I had a chick hatch once that became swollen like you described, it was about 2 days old when I noticed it. It was very squishy, but ran around and acted normal, eating, drinking, pooping.

I thought that maybe it was born with a heart defect that made it retain fluid. I left it alone with its mom and siblings, and after a week or so it went down and matured normally.

It was a rooster. [​IMG]

5. Rose66

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Just as an update, the swelling went down in the chick after a few more days and it now appears to be back to normal.

Rose

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by