1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

swollen under eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicki1770, Mar 11, 2012.

1. nicki1770

nicki1770 New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Hi I am new to having chickens as pets, but i love them, however my plymouth rock called Rosie (on my photos), has a swelling under eye. All her under eye has swelled up around the red bit, i took her to the vets 2 weeks ago which gave her some slow release antibiotics, as she said it could have been blocked scinus or an infection. The vet did say she was a domestic animal vet but she would still see Rosie. Rosies eye has swelled up even more now and i dont know what to do. I have seperated her from my other 6 chickens, and left her just one chicken friend to keep her company, i also have to throw away the eggs. i would be most grateful if anyone would advise me on what i could try or do next. Thank you

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I can't see any photos on your profile page. Can you post a link to the photo?

3. nicki1770

nicki1770 New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    I dont have a photo of the swollen eye, just the chicken..xx

4. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the eye draining any kind of fluid? If it's some sort of eye infection, then I would recommend using Vetricyn to clean the eye up. They sell it at most feed stores.

5. nicki1770

nicki1770 New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    No nothing is coming from the eye its just a large swelled half moon area below the eye. The vet pressed the area and said it was sore as the chicken kept twitching when she prodded it. I have felt it and the lump is quite hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by