Swollen under one wing, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlcarnes2176, Oct 10, 2013.

1. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an EE that is acting fine, but she holds her one wing up due to being extremely swollen under her wing. She is one month old Is it possible that she has gotten bit by something or is this some kind of disease? Should I separate her from the group or leave her with the others? This is the best picture I could get of her. The skin is so tight the it looks like it is going to burst.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Gosh I don't know how no one saw this post earlier. That looks like a leaking air sac under the skin. Most likely it is from an injury. The name of it is subcutaneous emphysema. If it is causing no respiratory distress, you can leave it alone and hopefully the body will absorb the air in time. Some people will take a large gauge needle and a syringe and withdraw the air from under the skin, or insert the needle under the skin without a syringe, and squeeze out the air. Many times it will re-accumulate. Here is some info:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/223/subcutaneous-emphysema

3. tlcarnes2176

Thank you so much for the information.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is she doing today? Normally I would probably just watch a leaking air sac, but that one is so large, I would be tempted to deflate it.

5. tlcarnes2176

She is about the same. This is one of my daughters agriculture project birds, so I am waiting for her to get home this afternoon to try and deflate it. I am super nervous about it, but I know that if she is in any pain, because of this I will do anything to help her.

6. tlcarnes2176

Well, I did it. Deflated that spot under her wing. She was super calm which made it easy. I'll let you know how she's doing tomorrow!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great job! Not many would tackle that like you did. Keep us posted.

8. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    I saw this and wanted to say to maybe just lance it. But I didn't wanna say anything and have you do it and it harm her. But I'm glad she's doing better!

9. tlcarnes2176

She is doing just fine today. No air sac under her wing yet. I am keeping an eye on it as I heard it can fill up again. Thanks again Eggcessive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by