Swollen vent, need help asap (graphic pics)!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bmb321, Nov 7, 2017.

1. bmb321

bmb321 In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
    Hello, very new here although I am constantly on here reading other posts. Now I finally need help!

My new hampshire red is 7 months old, got her in April and she hasn't laid an egg yet. I chalked it up to the seasons changing and lack of daylight, along with her not being ready yet. She is the friendliest and most developed of my 8 hen flock (none of them have laid). Yesterday her comb was wilted and wasn't as vibrant as usual. Provided her with electrolytes and waited it out. Today she was the same. Lethargic, eyes closing, but she is eating and drinking! Her poo is watery with some white chunks, but also dark green chunks, like a forest green color.

Today I separated her and put her in the garage with a heat lamp to go near if she wants. She has been eating and drinking normally still. Still lethargic, stands low to the ground and closes her eyes. Anyways, I gave her bum a 15 minute soak in warm epsom bath water, because her vent is bulbous. I can't get any info besides prolapsed vent/egg bound/vent gleet...

Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful. She's my favorite hen ever.
    Pictures here
    1.jpg IMG_7180.JPG

2. MairyMai

MairyMai Songster

May 8, 2017
  3. Is she pooping?

4. bmb321

bmb321 In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
    She is pooping but it's watery with some dark green chunks.

5. bmb321

bmb321 In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
  6. MairyMai

MairyMai Songster

May 8, 2017
    Yes, I believe that it is prolapse.

7. bmb321

bmb321 In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
    Thank you so much

8. MairyMai

MairyMai Songster

May 8, 2017
    No problem, I'm glad to help:)

9. bmb321

bmb321 In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2017
    Update: Just did a more thorough cleaning, with plans to remedy her prolapse. It seems she had a lot of poop/matter that needed to be cleaned out. there was a white plug, very cheesey looking, and after that the hole was clean looking and the flesh was pink just within the hole, no deep pink flesh that would suggest her insides coming out. Wondering if this could still be a prolapse, or she simply had some weird blockage that was only allowing her to pass runny poops and it caused her vent to swell? Thanks

10. I would wait and see what her next poop looks like and recheck. She might just need to clear out her system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: