Swollen vent on chick, tried everything

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
My 1 week old Marans won’t stop picking at her vent. IOriginally posted this in pastyButt section. But she really doesn’t have pasty butt. I did clean a feel of the chicks but a few days ago and I can’t remember if she was one of them. if she was, I may have irritated the area I don’t know. Her vent is clear now but swollen and irritated. She constantly picks at it. I’ve tried just warm water Vaseline coconut oil, Blue coat, hydrocortisone, cream, doing nothing, it’s not a question of separating her because she’s the instigator. She’s a beautiful chick, and I just hate to see herContinue this and develop infection.Does anybody have any experience with this or words of encouragement happy Mother’s DayTo all your chickie mothers!

Attachments

• C08E1CCB-C2FC-4A7E-B153-1E7C59C0D41B.jpeg
    C08E1CCB-C2FC-4A7E-B153-1E7C59C0D41B.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 29
Is she having a hard time pooping?

I'd make sure she's drinking, offer her a little wet mash to eat.
Get some coconut oil into her, about 1/4tsp twice a day. I like to put the oil in the fridge to harden it, then give them small chunks to eat. Or you can stir the oil into a bit of feed.

Soak her bum in a warm epsom salts bath, this may help reduce any inflammation and also promote going if she's having a hard time. Dry her with a hair dryer so she doesn't chill, then apply your ointment/vaseline of choice to the vent.

Is she having a hard time pooping?

I'd make sure she's drinking, offer her a little wet mash to eat.
Get some coconut oil into her, about 1/4tsp twice a day. I like to put the oil in the fridge to harden it, then give them small chunks to eat. Or you can stir the oil into a bit of feed.

Soak her bum in a warm epsom salts bath, this may help reduce any inflammation and also promote going if she's having a hard time. Dry her with a hair dryer so she doesn't chill, then apply your ointment/vaseline of choice to the vent.
Oh this sounds good, all of it. I’m going to find my Epson salts and get started. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom