Swollen Vent - Pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PTSM, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    My Barred Rock has a swollen vent. This started about 10 days ago, with a slightly swollen area, but nothing too bad. I detected fleas on my flock, so have been treating them with DE.

A few days, ago, the BR developed what looks like hard pustules around her vent. There were flea eggs there before, but I got rid of them by trimming the feathers and plucking other feathers, and maybe she picked at it too. There was fewer fleas on her and no more eggs. However, her vent is very swollen (see pictures). I don't know if it's related to the fleas or a separate issue. The swollen parts are quite hard. It does not look like her vent is inside out. She appears to be pooping normally and eating too. She is very quiet though, compared to her two sisters and compared to normal. She rests a lot, stands in place, does not peck and jump around like she usually does. She just seems very subdued. I kept her in the coop yesterday, but she seems to prefer to hang out with her sisters, so I have our outside today.

I cleaned their coop and run really well last week and the fleas have subsided.

Today I washed her vent with soap and warm water, applied some hydrogen peroxide to the area and put Neosporin on it. I don't know what else to do, I guess I could call a vet, but I don't know if it's an internal infection, maggots (just a long shot idea from reading others' posts), swollen from the fleas and her picking at it. I don't believe the other hens are picking at her at all, they seem to be leaving her alone. She is laying about an egg a day.

I've read a lot of posts on the forum, and it might be vent gleet, but I can't figure out what the right treatment is.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I can't figure out if it's internal or external and it's still a problem for my hen...

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Could it be a prolapse or does it look like growths?

4. PTSM

PTSM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    I don't think it's prolapsed, based on the pictures I saw. She hasn't laid an egg in two days, but it just appears inflamed and scabby, not inside out like a prolapse.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I wish I knew more. I have never seen anything quite like that. Does it seem to be getting worse over time?

I would keep her clean like you are doing and keep watch. Maybe some neosporin? Hopefully someone will know more.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by