Swollen Vent

Jacobt

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2014
My polish chick (about 7 days old) woke up this morning with pasty butt, and a completely clogged vent. I cleaned it off, and she pooped a LOT. But now, her vent is irritated and she keeps picking at it. I keep catching her pulling at the feathers alongside it. Any recommendations for what I should do so this can heal? Much appreciated!
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 8.42.13 PM.png

Use a tiny dab of cortisone cream on the swelling and it will relieve both the swelling and the pain so the chick won't peck at it.

Watch this chick. It may be prone to pasting up again. You might want to be proactive and slip a tiny bit of coconut oil into its beak. That can help slide the poop out more easily.

If you have to clean the vent again, use a cotton ball soaked in mineral oil and avoid rubbing the delicate tissue. Continue using the hydrocortisone cream until the swelling goes down. If the other chicks peck at it, use Blu-kote on the vent and let dry before putting the cream on it. The purple will make the vent less attractive to the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom