Swollen Vent

hyfi18

Hatching
5 Years
May 22, 2014
I have a 6 month old light brown leghorn pullet with a very swollen vent that is goopy and little bloody. I read the articles on egg bound issues, vent gleet and constipated chickens.

Two nights ago we put her in a epsom salt bath for 30 minutes and massaged area to clean her off. Tried to feel if she was egg bound and didn't feel and egg. (our first chickens so I'm not 100% on that however she doesn't have any of the other symptoms of butt down, lethargic, etc.) Put preparation H on her and placed in isolation for the night. Next day she and the rest of the clan all had plain yogurt and fresh water with apple cider vinegar in it. Last night we gently cleaned off the vent and reapplied the Prep H and kept her isolated. During the day she is out with the rest of the girls and she appears happy and active.

Don't believe it is a prolapse as there isn't anything sticking out of the vent, it is just REALLY big.

Not sure what to do, how long to wait and looking for some additional advice. I can post pictures if someone thinks that will help. Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the vent? It's so much easier to answer question when we see the same things. If the actual vent is swollen, then that sounds like prolapse or at least egg bound. Prolapse involves red tissue sticking out of the vent that normally should be inside. Here is a picture of the typical prolapse and a worse one who didn't survive:

vent+a.jpg
LL

I don't see the red tissue sticking out but the vent is definitely bulging, unless the dark matter is necrotic or dead tissue. Is she passing droppings okay? Could she be constipated, or. maybe have an egg stuck inside further up? You can inserted a lubricated finger into the vent an inch or two--use a rubber glove. Water-based lubricants such as KY jelly are good to lube things up.

Back
Top Bottom