Swollen Vent

basketballdunk

Hatching
Jun 23, 2015
Noticed last night that she had a very poopy bottom all stuck to her feathers. Looking closely I saw that her vent is swollen and very red. Today, I cleaned her, soaking her in warm water. Her red, swollen vent is pulsating, possibly she is doing because it is sore. When I touched it she didn't seem to be bothered, but she was walking like a little penguin and it looked like it kind of hurt. She is doing everything else normally. She's eating, her poop looks fine, she's even laying eggs still. Any ideas?

Looks like it could be a prolapse.

Don't worry though, these can be fixed. We had a leghorn with a prolapse. You clean it off and then just carefully push it back in. You can look up how to do this elsewhere. Try to keep her away from other chickens that may peck at it or dirt that may get stuck to it. You don't want it staying out too long or it could dry up or get infected.

Prolapses can be caused by hens that lay a lot of eggs, lay big eggs, are egg bound (can't lay an egg, but you said yours could) or from some other problem. As for the pulsating vent, I think that's normal.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Looks like it could be a prolapse.

Don't worry though, these can be fixed. We had a leghorn with a prolapse. You clean it off and then just carefully push it back in. You can look up how to do this elsewhere. Try to keep her away from other chickens that may peck at it or dirt that may get stuck to it. You don't want it staying out too long or it could dry up or get infected.

Prolapses can be caused by hens that lay a lot of eggs, lay big eggs, are egg bound (can't lay an egg, but you said yours could) or from some other problem. As for the pulsating vent, I think that's normal.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck! :)
Tried getting it back in, didn't work:( I'm not sure if I did it correctly though and I don't want to try again just in case I hurt her even more than she is now. we will be taking a little bet trip tomorrow:) thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom