Swollen Watery Eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by portiaraylee, Dec 6, 2014.

1. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    This chicken is about 2 months old and about the past 3 weeks or so it has had puffy, watery eyes. No other symptoms. No wheezing or sneezing, eating and drinking, not lethargic, just eyes look sick. I am currently treating with duramycin. Anyone know what this is? This chicken is in with several other chickens, and no one else is sick. All bright eyed and bushy tailed. Doing great. Can chickens get pink eye? Just need some ideas on the causes! [​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    With no other symptoms, I'd say this could be a case of allergies.

I would quarantine her to be safe. Sometimes, things can progress rapidly before we can react. Better to have a healthy chicken in quarantine for a few days than let an ill flock member run around... Chickens will HIDE their symptoms, sometimes to our dismay.

Is it just one eye? Both eyes? I feel like you're on the right track with Duramycin. Does she have any discharge? Is she shaking her head a lot?

I hope it's nothing!!!

MrsB

3. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    It is in both eyes, and no, she isn't shaking her head, doesn't seem to bother her at all - just me! When I took her out to get that pic she was NOT a happy camper! Is there treatment allergies in poultry? I have never heard of it, Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by