Swollen wattle, ugly growth at beak

Lactosetolerant

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
I have a 6 month old Buff that has grown a lesion of some sort below the beak, it is pretty ugly looking. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I wish I knew what it was. On the same bird, on the left side of her head, is a swollen wattle that looks like it might pop. There is a strange depression/dot in the center of it, not unlike an ingrown hair or feather? Again, it doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it sure looks bad. I have a nine bird flock and all the others seem to be well and lesion free. This bird, Olga, is a good layer in spite of all this. All my birds have come on-line this past month. Not bad for winter. Any ideas? Should I be

concerned? Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. I would research Canker for the ugly growth on the right side. Canker is a protozoan infection that is treated with Flagyl or metronidazole. Fishzole is the same thing and available online and in some pet stores. Dose is 250 mg daily in tablet form. Swollen wattles can be many things--frostbite, coryza, fowl cholera, and maybe just an abscess from a peck or injury. Here is more info on canker: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce

Thanks for your help, I'll try to treat the canker. The wattle thing is getting bigger and so is the circle in the middle of it. It looks like it needs to be lanced.. yuk!

Howdy Eggcessive, there have been some developments over the past week or so that you might be interested in. The growth under the beak that was reeally ugly, has fallen off and looks to be healing nicely. Likewise, the swollen wattle has resolved itself as well. I was holding the bird this afternoon, and looking at the wattle, it appeared to be ready to burst. So I took a chance to squeeze gently on the site and out comes this round ball looking thing! It didn't want to fall out by itself so I left it alone and set the chicken down on the ground. I guess the now dangling object was annoying her so she lifted a foot and scraped it off where it fell to the ground. I didn't want her to try to eat it so I grabbed it. It was disgusting to look at but I'm glad it came out. I took some pics that I will share with you. All I can tell is that it is hard and round like a ball. If you have any idea what it is I would love to know. Mind you, all this happened on its own before I could get any medicine on either of the sites. Thank you for your input and timely response! Very strange... On a good note, I got a really large egg to day. It weighed in at 76 grams! Of the nine birds, I got seven eggs today. All is well in my backyard!

Wow, talk about strange! The ball that fell off was probably a solid ball of pus--that is what pus does in chickens. I would suspect the earlobe was maybe pecked or injured, and this pus was from an abscess that formed. As for the wattle ugly growth--it maybe was a cyst. There was an almost identical growth like that from another BYCer about the same time that you posted, and it looked the same only bigger. I would be interested to know if that one fell off too. Oh well, I'm glad that you didn't have to give any medications, and that everything is back to normal. Please post again if anything crops back up--this was interesting. Take care.

I have a similar issue with my lavender orphington. It's almost been a week and nothing with cleaning care with betadine and Neosporin is helping :( off to the vet tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom