Swollen white guinea fowl neck!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by HelenAbim, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Respond ASAP

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Please help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HelenAbim

HelenAbim Chirping

Dec 19, 2017
    Lagos Nigeria
    Dear Fam, I went to the farm this morning and saw my guinea fowl this way. I have never seen anything like it before. Are there any ideas? Is it a disease? What can I do to help?

Attached Files:

ButtonquailGirl14 and Texas Kiki like this.
  2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Sorry, I have no idea what is wrong with your guinea. I suppose that it could be a reaction to an insect or snake bite.

You may want to check it for signs of gapeworm such as breathing with its mouth open, coughing and other signs of breathing difficulty. I did not see any reference to an external swelling.

Gapeworm

I believe your guinea is what we refer to here as a Pinto.

3. HelenAbim

HelenAbim Chirping

Dec 19, 2017
    Lagos Nigeria
    I don't think it's gapeworm. The bird is not gasping but the head region looks swollen and I don't understand the dark pouch protruding out of it's neck. I will place before and after pictures for you to see. It seems to be a bit huddled up but eating and drinking well otherwise

Attached Files:

4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The swollen blue area in my opinion is due to a reaction to either a sting or bite. As long as it is eating and drinking well, I would let it be. Sorry I can't help you any better.

I would not be concerned about the color, just the swelling.

5. HelenAbim

HelenAbim Chirping

Dec 19, 2017
    Lagos Nigeria
    I read somewhere that avian influenza can cause cyanosis in birds. Can this be avian influenza?
    There was an outbreak in a state in Nigeria some time this year. This guinea fowl has been on my farm for almost two months. I quarantined it and it's now roaming with the others.
    I just want to have an idea of what is truly wrong before I get a veterinary doctor to have a look tomorrow.

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    That blue color can be natural on the neck and head of guinea fowl. Cyanosis will be darker and more purple.

If it was cyanosis, I would not expect the head to be white. Avian Influenza can cause swelling in the throat and neck area but is also typically accompanied by discharge from the nostrils and coughing and sneezing. Loss of appetite is also another symptom.

7. HelenAbim

HelenAbim Chirping

Dec 19, 2017
    Lagos Nigeria
    There is no discharge or coughing or sneezing. When I got the guinea fowl, it wasn't this way and that is why I am so concerned.

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    How long has it looked like this?

ButtonquailGirl14 and R2elk like this.
  9. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The lack of any other symptoms is why I suspect it is swelling due to a bite or sting of some kind. You are right that it should not be swollen like that.

10. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I would guess a bite or sting also... Hope she gets better soon!

R2elk likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: