SwoopKing's swooping in!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SwoopKing, Mar 16, 2015.

1. SwoopKing

SwoopKing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I'm John from New Hampshire, 21 years young and I've had chickens since I was five years old. <Had>, the last of my family's chickens died out last year. [​IMG]I'm trying to convince my parents to get more in spring but it's difficult because I'm at college (going to graduate in May!) and they complain I'm not around to care for them anymore. At any rate, as a kid I'd always do google searches for chickens during the dawn of the internet to try and learn as much about them as possible and BYC was always the most prominent and one of my favorite sites to visit. I may have had an account at one point, can't remember, but I started thinking recently I really wanted to just talk about chickens. What better place, right? I study Neuroscience but my true love has always been chickens, a fact people are always surprised to find out for some reason. I wish it was sustainable enough on its own, but raising chickens will always remain a hobby for me, even if I don't actively have them. Instead, I decided to study the brain: equally as interesting, but somehow less cuddly.

An easy and fun way I make friends (and let's be honest, probably a fair share of enemies) is by dressing up in a full body chicken suit and talking to strangers on campus. My Christmas tradition e-card is a part of my profile on here, at least it should be. Still figuring out the site, but it should give you an idea of how I roll. The cops stopped me when I was wearing it once.

I think I know my fair share about chickens, but due to my studies and not having chickens for the past year, I am a bit rusty on the topic. Not to mention there's always new information to learn about such an awesome animal, or any topic for that matter. I guess I'm primarily here to learn! Today I found out the difference between a Columbian Wyandotte and a Light Sussex, who knows what I'll learn tomorrow. Looking forward to talking with everyone and maybe making some new friends (even better if you're in my age group as I don't know too many people who are also into chickens).

Stay rad,
    swoop!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome John

Glad you could join the flock! You have come to right place for all the learning, the learning centre is a great place to start, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It has lots of very usefull articles on all aspects of chickens. The forum is also very diverse with many sections for all your questions.

Good luck with your graduation in May and I'm sure you will make lots of friends here on BYC, everyone is very friendly. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, there are many young people on BYC ( over 300,000 members around the globe) and most take their chickens very seriously.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on getting close to graduation, that's a big accomplishment. Chickens are fascinating and you're right, there is always something new to learn about them.

As for meeting some of the younger members of this board, I can't think of a better place to start than with @Mountain Peeps ! She's wonderful and knows so much about chickens. (Not to overlook any of the other great young(er) members on this board.)

This is the place to talk chicken so join in and have fun!

1 person likes this.
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. SwoopKing

Mar 15, 2015
    New Hampshire

Thank you! Gotta love those Polish top hat specials! One of my favorite breeds (who doesn't love them though?) I'll definitely check out the learning center, thanks for the tip. I have a feeling that's what I would read as a wee lad [​IMG]

8. SwoopKing

Mar 15, 2015
    New Hampshire

Thank you! That's a relief, I know quite a few people in my age group who have chickens, but none who go to the same extremes haha

9. SwoopKing

Mar 15, 2015
    New Hampshire

Thank you very much! I'll definitely get in contact with her [​IMG]

10. SwoopKing

Mar 15, 2015
    New Hampshire

Thank you! I'll do my best to keep calm and love chickens, but they get me too excited! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by