symptom help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KitaNori, Mar 13, 2012.

1. KitaNori

KitaNori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    My 10 week old silkie has been panting when she comes out of her pen, so I thought it was stress, but in the car she will also sneeze and open her mouth wide and stretch out her neck. It also sounds like there could be a faint popping sound, but i haven't put my ear to her face to see if that is where it is coming from. Could she have a cold? There is no discharge from her nose, and she is eating and drinking fine and makes a lot of noise. If need be I can take her to a vet but does anyone have any suggestions? I just got her a couple days ago along with 2 other younger silkies.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes she is probably scared. They pant and hold the beak open when they are scared.

3. KitaNori

Mar 12, 2012
    and could the sneezing just be a nervous thing too? She sneezes and then shakes her head a couple times.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sneezing could mean a cold or reaction to dust. I have not seen it with stress. With chickens a cold means a chronic disease, and thus if you have another flock of chickens you might do a quarantine until you determine if she is sick or just stressed. A lot of folks recommend a monthlong quarantine.

5. KitaNori

Mar 12, 2012
    Should I take the bedding out and try using newspaper? So I can tell if it's dust?

6. KitaNori

Mar 12, 2012
    my other two are sneezing now also, so it could be the bedding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by