symptoms but unsure whats wrong. cherry stones stuck in her throat??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Jul 22, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a young marans hen (around 15 weeks old) who has become quiet and lethargic today. shes always been a loner and calm but now shes really quiet, sits away from the other chickens and looks 'sleepy' she'll be standing drinking water, then close her eyes and in a sort of slow motion gently sits downwards until shes in a sleeping position on the grond, then even when you pick her up she acts sleepy, doesnt struggle. just sits there in your hands. her comb is very very pale (almost white) and shes drinking lots and lots of water. ive not seen her eat today. her breast bone sticks out terrible, she feels thin and her crop feels quite empty but squishy? also when i feel above her crop (neck area) i can feel 3 hard lumps which im guessing are not normal. one feels squarishish shaped (like a stone) and the other two round.
    i know a neighbour through over old cherries this week from her tree and im worried my marans has swollowed the cherry stones and they are stuck in her neck???

what do i do??

2. silkie33

silkie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Carthage,N.Y.
    Sorry about your pullet. I have a pullet doing the same thing . I have looked down her throat but didn't find anything. Still think she has eaten something that has lodged somewhere. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    her crop still feels empty today and the lumps still there...but im even more worried now as my entire turkey flock (under 15 weeks) has been wiped out with blackhead. can young chickens catch this from turkeys????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by