Symptoms of Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WIfarmerboy, May 8, 2009.

1. WIfarmerboy

WIfarmerboy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    West Central WI
    I am wondering if my 4.5 week old chicks have coccidiosis. They have what i'd consider rusty brown poo and sometimes shake. So my question is what other symptoms are there and if they have Cocci then how do i treat it?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. WIfarmerboy

Apr 15, 2009
    West Central WI
    Okay so none of my chicks are hunched over or have no appetite but every once in awhile they do have a little bloody colored poop.

I have also read somewhere on here that if i give them milk for a few hours a day then that might help does anyone have any expirence with this method?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use that to soothe their intestines, but you have to give them things like yogurt, buttermilk, raw goat's milk, powdered dry milk. It won't help a bad outbreak, though. I give mine Corid for 5-7 days and once a day, give them something made of milk, too.

5. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    mine never looked like that they looked very healthy but were like they were hemoraging out their vents all of them died but 2 all of mine ate that morning and were just fine. so what else will make a 5 week old chick bleed and I mean bleed out its vent and die? I am serious none of them were humped over did not look dirty actually they were very clean even when they died.

6. WIfarmerboy

Apr 15, 2009
    West Central WI
    They are not bleeding out of thier vents but they do have a rusty runny colored poop every once in a while. So i don't think that it is too bad. I think i will try the milk or yogurt for a couple days and see if that helps any.
    Thanks for all of your replies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by