symptoms of heat stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klf73, Jun 10, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was wondering if anyone knew the symptoms of heat stroke. I have a 12 week old chick that is not acting right. It was 90 degrees yesterday and I didn't get out as much as I wanted to water multiple times yesterday, many sick kids in the house. I didn't notice it yesterday because of all the running around I was doing. My mother took my 16mo for a little while today so I can take care of the kids and animals. While doing rounds I noticed this cockeral laying down. He also looks like he broke the tip of his beak off(no idea how, maybe he ran into the brooder window(hardware cloth)) I isolated him, in a shady spot. he is drinking so I will go back and check in a while. I got the baby back so I am going to have a hard time pulling time to do everything until dh gets home tonight.....
    so, symptoms of heat stroke anyone?

2. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    My first experience with heat stroke was Sunday. She was out, laying on her side, and couldn't move or get up. It was obvious it was heat stroke.

The bottom of her feet and her comb were very hot to the touch.

Cooled her off with a bath. She was still out of it for a couple hours after, on her side, neck and legs floppy.

She improved, sitting upright, neck not floppy after a few hours.

Now, she is still inside, taking water with electrolytes and eating. She is upright, however, cannot walk yet.

I spoke to a vet (on the radio actually). He said recovery will be slow because it will take time for her damaged brain to grow healthy brain stuff (sorry, I'm no doctor). I will need to be patient with her, and it can be a very slow process.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    mine almost seems drunk?

4. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:It could be because heat stroke causes delirium. Does it feel feverish? Is it panting and lethargic? Definitely get her cooled off.

5. bemabound

bemabound New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    In this Phoenix heat - 105-110 the last few days (June 15-18, 2011) my chickens (80 or so) have been effected by the heat. Three Barred Rocks died two days ago and yesterday I thought I was going to lose another one (a Black Astrolorp). Looked like heat stroke - she was limp and her head could hardly stay up - eyelids kept closing - though she was gone. I brought her into our sunroom w/air conditioning...gave her some fresh raw goats milk...in about an hour she was standing up and seemed to perk up. It was night time and it cooled down to about 90, so I put her back in the chicken run - she stood right up on her perching bar. She's doing well today. I have misters and lots of shade. It's just stinkin' hot here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. who let the chi

who let the chi New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    you shouldn't let any one handle you chickens specialy sick kids birds can catch colds ect..put that with heat stroke could give it brain dammmm then you cant let it suffer chop chop...true story my dang dad was weed eating and didn't see the chickens that were close behind him and one of them caught a rock on the head....same sysmtons as u had with your chick....

7. Rays Chickens

Rays Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    Vail AZ
    I live in Vail AZ. Today was a 110. I went to collect eggs and found one of my Barred Rocks dead in the coop. I just hate that...I found her a place to rest......dang I hate that. Sometime you feel so helpless.

8. monkeybobcat

monkeybobcat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Buckeye, Arizona
    Hi
    I am new to Arizona. I have 7 pet chickens. My husband put a sprinkler on top of coop. I put it on for about an hour when I return home in the afternoon. I put 2-liter bottles of water in freezer and several containers that I freeze for the next day. Every morning, I put 4 containers of fresh water in coop along with ice. I put the 2liter bottles in coop and have found my girls Iris and Poppy laying along side of the bottle. So far so good, I was so worried about them the first day we had this intense heat. I keep them hydrated with cut up melons, strawberries and other fruits. I wish I could bring them inside in the a/c but my husband said no way! Two of my girls are laying right now. One has quit due to the heat and the others are still too young. Thank-you and by the way, I think my chickens are awesome!!!

I am so sorry about your chickens dying. I used to let them run free in my yard, a neighbors dog killed my Jasmine and Lily. Now they are couped up. It broke my heart but I can't risk that happening again, My husband built me a portable coup with wheels that I can put them in and move them around the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by