symptoms of marek?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lisa202, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Songster

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    What are the symptoms of Marek? How do they get it? I did look under the search and was directed to Merck Vet page, but there's nothing there for Marek??
    My bantams are coming soon and won't be vaccinated against it so I want to be prepared just in case. I will be feeding medicated starter (if that helps), but other than that I don't know how to protect them.

2. pascopol

pascopol Songster

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    The birds will be laying on side, or moving erradically appearing partially paralized. Huge doses of Vit B complex may help in less advanced cases.

Medicated feed is only for coxidosis.

Unfortunately most of grown chickens are Marek's carriers even if they never succumbed to the deasease.

Marek's breaks immune system first before attacking nervous system, so in case of exposure not all birds will be affected, but exposed birds become carriers for life.

If your coming Bantams are your first birds I would not be worry about Mareks, there would be nothing in your enviroment to carry Marek's and infect your birds.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  4. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Agreed with above.
    One quick note, if you catch it early, I've noticed they will be off feed, seem lethargic and maybe alone in the corner before the limping and sure signs start. Any signs like that could be a number of things, so its wise to remove to seperate cage and watch carefully..so you will know what to treat if needed. (goes for any illness, better to be safe)
    Since you don't have older birds, you shouldn't have an issue with mareks. Good luck and have fun.
    Don't worry about stuff that may happen, just enjoy and keep an eye on things.

5. GibsonChicks4U

GibsonChicks4U In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    I have a chick that seems to have these symptoms but hasn't been exposed to adults any thoughts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by