Symptoms of something or not to worry?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shiningeyes, Apr 27, 2016.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    I have four chicks. 2 are 5 weeks old and two are about 6 I believe. For the past couple weeks hey have had some sneezing on and off. No eye discharge no swelling no nasal discharge no gasping of breath still eating and drinking and running around. However there are a few things they are doing that I'm not sure if it is normal or not or if combined thy are symptoms of something. I have seen some head shaking at least in one and the other day I had them outside in a temporary box and a few times all but one laid down on their side with their leg out. My dog was there which I know they are nervous around (I'm trying to do slow introduction because seeing each other will be unavoidable) so I do t know if they do this when they are scared? I've injy see. It one other time with one of them in the brooder box and it seemed like she was resting. I can also feel their beeastbones, especially In the younger ones and the one who I have seen shaking her head some seems to be really bare between her wings on her back. She is just 5 weeks old and still feathering out so I don't know if that's the cause. This seems like all a bunch of random information but I do t know if together it means anything? These are my first and my stomach is in knots because I just don't know what's normal and what's not. I'm a little bit of a worrier to begin with :) any thoughts from all you wonderful, more experienced chicken keepers would be much appreciated!

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

1 person likes this.
  3. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016

Thanks chicklover! I hope your right :) I think I'm more nervous with my chicks and ducks than I ever was with my daughter!!!

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    For the most part you won't have any problems, I have been raising chicks since I was 7 and I know all(well not all but a lot ) the problems and how to fix them if needed but the worst I have ever come up against has been pasty butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by