Symtoms need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emvickrey, May 5, 2011.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My friend down the road asked me to come and take a look at some of their chickens and see if I knew what might be wrong. I've read several posts about cocci and looked at the poop pics as to what is normal and what isn't. What I saw at his house in one pen was in the abnormal pics. There where 3 different poops. There wher some that where watery with alot of white, some where green and grainy with clear liquid and the third was a mustard color. I told him I thought the green grainy and mustard color ones where an indication of worms according to the pics but the white ones wherent exactly like the cocci pictured. They where more watery and some had a little of the grainy poop in with it. He has them on a concrete floor so it was pretty easy to tell. There where a couple spots that where dark. I was thinking dried blood but not for sure. Could have just been regular poop. I didn't see anything that looked like fresh blood. He had 4 pullets in there that where just sitting around with their heads tucked and one was walking around and sneezing her little head off.

He also said the only change other than the weather was he got their feed at a different place and instead of the layer crumbles he got the pellets because they where out of the crumbles. The scratch grains where practically ground corn compared to what he usually gets. I wish I had take my camera to show pics.

I told him I would ask the advice of those that knew lots more than I did so here I am.

Oh, he has 4 other chickens in there too that don't appear to be feeling bad and they are adults, 3 hens and a roo. He said the hens have been laying their eggs in the food dish.

He wants to go and get what they may need when he gets off work tomorrow and will give me a call before he does so hopefully I will have some advice for him as to what to get.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'll tell him to get a sample to the vet. The one Pullorum sounds like what I saw which sucks because I walked in there and it says to cull the birds because after recovery they will carry it still. Their eggs will be contaminated. I suppose it they where for eating they would be no good. I'll have to ask my vet. This fellow has alot of birds but not all are effected so hopefully if it is this he won't loose them all unless they've been exposed.

4. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think the 'eggs affected' means that the chicks will carry it, but best to ask the vet. Sorry. That sounds awful.

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I hope not. he hatches eggs constantly.

6. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    He said he decided to worm them last night and when he got home today all but one was alot better. There are no white poops but one still is pooping watery green poops and appears to look like it don't feel well. According to the poop pics it means it's not eating well. I told him to try getting it to eat eggs and yogurt. I guess scrambling the eggs and mixing the yogurt in with it. Is that how it's done? I tried yogurt with mine a couple years ago and they didn't want anything to do with it. Haven't done it again since. So I really don't have any experience with feeding yogurt. I don't want to tell him the wrong thing to try. He said he wasn't going to do the stool sample with the vet unless this one doesn't perk up since the others stopped pooping white.

I know today I went and hosed out my pen that has a concrete floor and spread bleach around and hosed that out real good. Hopefully if I brought what ever it was home I killed it today. [​IMG]

Any input?

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That was a good idea. maybe have a tray of disinfectant to step in when you come back from his place.

I think the yogurt would be a good idea for the 'good bugs' in it. If he mixed it with some scratch perhaps? I think you can get the acidophilus and yogurt cultures in power form at the feed store, but I am not sure.

and...maybe they had a cold. We jump to the worse case scenario because if it is, then we can't waste time. But if they seem better so quickly then it almost seems environmental. like maybe it was the new feed.
    I know dogs do not appreciate a a change in food. same issues... loose stools.

I hope it will all be alright now. you are a good friend to have for a neighbor.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Thanks for the nice words. I called him today and he said he still has one that is having the watery poop but no white. We do think it's the feed. But the rest are doing just fine. Thank Goodness. It scared me, not only that he could loose his birds but that I may have brought it home to mine.

Thank you to everybody that helped with advice and nice words. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by