syracuse chicken club?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rancher hicks, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Considering the lousy showing at the NYS fair, I thought I would throw out the idea of a Syracuse Chicken club. I was hoping anyone here who is interested might want to drop me a pm with your e-mail address. Of course I will send you mine.
    I am open to ideas and things that might be of concern such as breeds and problems that potential members forsee.
    Whether you have a few birds or many whatya say? If I get a good response I'll start to prepare a newsletter.
    Maybe next year we can get better breed representation. I don't know if anyone saw anything they'd like to share? Or didn't see?
    If there are breeders in other states who see this and want to submit comments or helpful tips that would be nice and good for all chicken breeds and preservation.
    Thanks in advance.

Rancher Hicks

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Good luck great idea!

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I wanted to go my company even has a booth there.

4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    While I appreciate the encouragement, are there no interested parties?

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You may have to put up some flyers at the feed store and grow your own group from scratch.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Scratch? Is that where groups come from. I thought scratch was just cracked corn and oats.
    I mean my sisters' cracked but I don't think she came from corn but she's not big enought to be a group.
    Now my aunt Tessie she's big enough to be a group but she's not cracked. I like her.

7. Monk

Monk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    I just went to the Fair today. I thought they had a decent amount of birds. But no one really around to talk with or ask questions. There was no real labeling or literature for someone like myself, not really knowledgeable about the different breeds. Nice to see though...

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well it appears that a change had been made and standard birds were shown the first half and bantams the second.
    This I believe had to do with pigeons being downstairs for the first time.
    This was according to the Lou guy who is selling his birds.
    I was not aware of this and of course disappointed. He did say he had Dominiques though I don't particularly care.
    Chickens owners, If you look like you need a bath, just what do you chickens look like?
    No one is saying you have to wear a $300 suit, but you can at least put on a clean pair of jeans and nice shirt. Cut your hair and shave. And that's just for the women. Men can shower and wear the same and not smell like you rolled in it.
    My point is I would not buy chickens from people who looked like this Lou guy. I do like Dominiques but not badly enough to take the risk of sick birds. As a matter of fact there were some birds that were marked "dust". Which I took to mean they had mites. At a chicken show? Good garden o' peas!

9. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Lou happens to have some beautiful, well cared for birds. We're hoping to be able to buy some from him. WOW, that's pretty catty! I'm pretty sure there's not a competition for "Best Dressed Breeder" but if there was, my daughter would have won it! LOL

Hopefully the person that caused the pigeons to be downstairs will say something to the fair administrators so the chicken show can be done all at once, as it SHOULD be.

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I am sorry that you were offended. Having been to my fair share of auctions it just seems that some could use a lesson in hygiene. Not all comments applied to Lou. They were just "if the shoe fits" comments. I can assure you I do not look the best around the house, but if I'm going to a show or auction I like to look decent.
    Having grown up poor and dirty, one of the most considerate comments a friend made to me was "it's one thing to be poor, it's another to be dirty". I have never forgotten that. Though that is more info than I should have to say. Seems to me we should all want to project a good image of poultry people. Which by the way is what you and your dau project.
    As for the care of his birds, some of the birds at the fair seemed kinda ratty, and for a judge to write "dust" is just not right. We do need to practice good "biosecurity" or am I wrong?
    I don't know if it was one of Lou's. I do know he was trying to sell a silkie dyed blue for $35. My dau said he said it was it's "natural" color. Yes I know there are blue silkies but it was not that shade of blue.
    You do know it was me who is responsible for the pigeons being moved downstairs? I have a hard time with stairs and my bro. (God rest his soul) was a pigeon person and I like to see them, and wanted them to receive better promotion.
    There is alot that can be done to improve the show but being a newbie, I'm not privy to how things work and w/o a club as I proposed, I'm not likely to receive any information. My proposal was not to administer info but hopefully get some.
    My Sis in law was involved w/ the pigeon show but she passed last year. I do have one bro still alive who was involved w/ pigeons and all were a member of the Syr. Pigeon club. I'll ask him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by