syringe feeding tips needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by muddyhorse, Aug 11, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Mokey is a two year old silkie roo. he seems to have a sinus infection gooky eyes, swollen face, I have him on a mix of terramycin, sulmet, and nutidrench. he is also getting eye ointment he is mopey .
    his pallet ( roof of mouth ) is swollen and he can not close his beak, I have a bird feeding syringe and ensure ( when I worked for the vet if we got any hawks in we feed them ensure)
    how much should I be giving him ? I can get the tip past the obstruction I'm just dribbling it and letting him swallow. any advice is greatly appreciated.
    his is isolated

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    You can't get enough into him by syringe feeding, unless you do this all day long- plus you risk getting it into his trachea if you dribble it in too fast. Can you ask your old boss for a set up to gavage (crop feed) him? Then you can give him 12-24 ml liquid food- several times a day. Ensure has energy, but it is not appropriate for a chicken long term- blenderize flock raiser crumble, or chick start so you can send that through the tube. Or go buy parrot hand feeding formula. AND you need to figure out why his palate is swollen- is it yellow and cheesy? Can you see his choana (the slit in the middle of his palate)? Canker, wet pox, ect- different problems will have different treatments. The antibiotics you have him on will not help pox or canker, only certain type of bacteria. If he has coryza- your treatment may help him, but he will likely be a carrier that can infect others. Does he smell? Coryza birds usually smell very bad.....

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I don't think it is coryza. I was a bad silkie mommy, when he came home from his last show I sprayed him for mites and the chemical got in his eye and irritated it. I washeed them out but his cheek fluff got in the irritation and set up an infection. the discharge is not like the disease description and he smells like infection not any thing else.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If he just came home from a show, I think the mite spray irritating his eyes & setting up an infection in his mouth is a big red herring. It is more (much more IMO) likely he came home with an upper respiratory infection- viral or bacterial. Canker is less likely- as that is direct contact and not airborne. Post a photo? The two antibiotics you have him on- if at appropriate doses- will decrease most bacterial, though carrier states are likely in many diseases. If this is viral (like wet pox or ILT/IB) , those antibiotics are not going to be helpful. Can you have him seen by a vet? Do you have other chickens? Do you have him quarantined?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by