T Johnson...I love doing things the natural way,raising beautiful chickens and eager to learn more

T Johnson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
I've had chicken for a little over two years. But last year I had to move so, I had a friend keep my chickens until I got settled. Unfortunately one died leaving me with only one chicken left . However I am about to get some more chickens and since I consider myself to still be fairly new at this there is so much that I want to learn. Heres a little bit about myself and how got I started with chickens. I wanted chickens originally because I got tired of paying the high prices for the eggs at the store. And somehow I knew that all natural eggs were different from the ones you buy at store. So after hearing me go on and on about how I wanted my own chickens mw husband brought me home my very own chicken they were already grown and laying eggs , he got them from someone who was moving and couldnt take the chickens with them. So now I had my very own chickens and I was excited. Now I'm from chicago the south side so everyone was a little surprised when they discovered that I had chickens. I guess since I'm not from the deep south they didn't expect me to have a little country in me. And dont get me wrong im not that country I do love things all natural but, I hate bugs and i do not sleep outside not even in a tent. At All!! But I did think I knew a little something about chickens, I dont know why I thought that, but I did. I knew there was a difference between a hen and a rooster, right. The rooster makes all that noise. Well imagine my surprise when one morning all is quiet and my new chickens start clucking and clucking and clucking and wouldn'd stop!!!! I didnt know what to do , I'm not from the country and I don't live in the country now !!! I didnt know if the noise was too loud for my neighbors,!! could they hear all that noise?, would they come knocking on my door mad?!!! How do I make them stop. And is this normal? I was in a complete panic. Well needless to say no one seemed to notice but me. Thank God . And now I want more chickens the prettier the better. And boy are they pretty , who knew? But I do hope to learn a lot from everyone at Back Yard Chickens, like how to build a good chicken coop.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, chickens are addicting! Once you get started with them, it is hard to get them out of your blood!

You might want to stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors. Maybe someone nearby has some chickens for you. Scroll through this link to find your state thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

You can also check our Buy Sell and Trade section for birds in your area....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Great to have you aboard! And I hope you can get your flock established soon!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your chicken. Even those of us who were raised in the country and have spent a lot of time sleeping in tents, don't generally like bugs (especially some of them). You're right about those hens; they don't crow, but they can certainly be noisy. But that's part of the fun of them. As you learn to listen to them as well as watch them, you discover that each hen has her own delightful personality, and then (as TwoCrow's said) you become addicted to chickens, and you want more. Very few BYC members are immune to "chicken math." Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built.

Back
Top Bottom