"T" Shaped Roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bobchristenson, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bobchristenson

bobchristenson Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    As I mentioned in my previous post I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get enough roost width for 4 birds. I seem to be about "1 bird short" [​IMG] I don't quite have enough depth to have 2 roosts 12" (let alone 16") apart for a stair-step second roost. The goal of this distance, as I understand it, is to simply keep them from pooping on each other....so, last night I thought of the following solution:

What if, in addition to my one horizontal roost, I added a second roost that intersected it in a 't-shape' (perpendicular, instead of parallel). It would be at the same level or possibly an inch higher. It seems to me this solves the 'pooping on your neighbor' scenario and gives me enough perch room for another bird or two.

Has anyone seen this done? Do you see any problems with it? I've added a diagram below (the horizontal is the existing roost, the vertical would be the additional one)

[​IMG]

2. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    Looks fine. I have roosts going all over the place in my coop (only because we added more 2x4's for stability. Just keep in mind that if there is a roost that is "higher" than another roost, they will all want to bunch up on the higher roost.

3. bobchristenson

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Just keep in mind that if there is a roost that is "higher" than another roost, they will all want to bunch up on the higher roost

So, in theory it's good to have all your roosts at the same height anyway, right? It keeps the little bird-brains from arguing [​IMG]

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I've seen the T-shape done and assume it works, tho the chickens will probably all pile on the same roost anyway to keep warm. I tend to obsess about things like that and then realize that they are chickens and they do their own thing anyway. Give the one roost a try and see if any are "left out." You can always add the "T" on later.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

The T should work out just fine. I doubt that 1" will even enter their bird brain......Pop

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use shelf supports to hang my roosts on the wall, and our hens actually prefer to roost on the shelf supports themselves. So much so, they were squabbling with each other about who gets to roost there, even though there was ample roost space elsewhere. So I added a couple more shelf supports, and now nearly every one of the hens roosts on her own shelf support next to the wall.

7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have been thinking about doing the same thing with my roost.
    and my coop looks just like your set up.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How much floor space do you have in the coop then, only that 3' x 3' space? Can they walk around under the nest boxes, too? Even so, if that's all you have, in a northern climate, I wouldn't plan on adding more chickens to the coop.

With that density, I'd think about cleaning more often or using poop boards under the roost. If you roof part of your run to keep out snow, that will help keep them outside more often, until it gets really cold and they need to come inside to get warm during the day. Are you planning on keeping the food and water outside? If so, the food will need protection to stay dry. Or are those going under the nest boxes?

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    DH used cross pieces to stabilize the outside walls and then added the roosts on top. Resulted in a number of T's. Girls and roosters sit perpendicular to each other at times. All on the same level. No arguing. (Roosts are 1 x 4's laid flat.)

10. bobchristenson

May 31, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Yeah, as far as I can figure the indoor roost area is about the right size (it's about 9' x 3'). They have an enclosed run outside (which will be covered in the winter) and have about 7sq ft per hen inside. The nest boxes and roosts have floor space beneath them so I'm hoping it's enough area. If not I can expand the indoor space as they grow.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by