Taaa Daaa!

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
I was in my kitchen today and heard my chickens making a freaked out racket. I peak out and they are all staring at the coop and screaming like the chicken boogie man is in there. When I go to open up the coop door they look at me like "I wouldn't go in there if I were you..", one of them even hissed at the coop (none have ever hissed before). I thought maybe something evil had somehow gotten past our hardware cloth fort knox defenses, and when I open the door to peek the coop is totally trashed. There are shavings everywhere, my fake eggs have been tossed clear across the coop, and the nest boxes have hardly any hay left in them. But, as I look closer I see one of my wooden eggs that looks a tiny bit smaller than it did before, and darker. Sure enough, one of my chickens has laid her first egg and must have thought she was being attacked from behind
roll.png
lol.png

It's a perfect, pretty little thing laid by one of my 2 Golden Comets, Annie.

Egg.jpg

Annie-1.jpg

They are around 22 weeks old. Extra sunflower seeds and a romp in the rain to pat them on the back for a job well done! Yay!

what a cute story.I tell you mine seem to have all kinds of similar chicken business going on down at the barn.I let them freee range for a couple of hours in the morning everybody runs out like all get out.Then they all seem to grazing peacefully then all of a sudden I see Cletus run past and back into the run and into the coop then Eddie flies by not wanting to miss out on whatever Cletus seems to think is happening.Pretty soon the boys come trotting back out.Every so often you will hear alot of swuaking and everybody is on the run again.Lord only knows what's going on.

Thanks, it was pretty exciting!

Kellie - they are entertaining little critters, aren't they? I love to just watch mine and try to figure out what is going on in their little brains. Sometimes it's easy "yum! A bug! Yay!!!", but sometimes I have no idea what they're thinking.

Back
Top Bottom