table scraps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by medbh, May 13, 2008.

1. medbh

medbh New Egg

May 13, 2008
    I'd like to give our chickens table scraps. We just picked up chicks, how old do they need to be before they can have leftover veggies and such? Thanks!

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Everyone has their own way of doing things, I gave mine table scraps as early as 2 weeks. More important then when I think is the how as in make sure they have access to grit if & when you feed. that's the important part in my opinion.
    HTH

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm 100% in agreement with eggz. - I would just add to make sure they get CHICK grit rather than grown-up chicken grit. It's a bit smaller. Good luck, and welsome to BYC!!!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I gave my girls oatmeal and yogurt at a week old and steamed veggies at 2 weeks. Just make sure they get some chick grit and they will do fine. Watch for spices, heavy oils and butters. Treat it as a treat not a main food source and they will be happy healthy chicks.

5. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Ok I've just started giving my chicks (2 weeks old) watermelon and cut up apples... I haven't given them grit, but after this thread I'm doing it tomorrow! [​IMG]

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    question on grit -

can you use super fine sand if you have it? I have a container of that in the chick area and they "bath" in it and I've seen them pick at it.

Thanks!

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by