1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Table scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TubbyChicken, Aug 23, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    What type of scraps are ok to feed chickens? We're picking ours up tomorrow and I was just cleaning out my fridge when it dawned on me that the chickens might be able to polish off the cantelope half or the green beans that I was about to throw out.

What is ok or not to give to the chickens?

2. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Anybody?

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    OMG , keep the leftovers in your frig. until they get there .

1st. how old are you chickens ? they will also need feed and that depends on their ages .

1 week to 15 weeks ( starter/grower )

Layers need laying pellets

do a research on the kind of feed needed for age groups .

As for leftovers , fruit , greens , rice , grass , bread . ALMOSt anything that you eat , they can eat also ....

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Thank you! I hate throwing out old fruit and veggies so it's nice to know I can give the birds a treat. Does it matter that the beans were cooked with meat? (I don't think there is any actual meat in the beans, but it was cooked with pork back)

All of our birds will be over 15 weeks, so I have some laying pellets to start them on. (Do I offer oyster shell with their feed or in a separate container?

Thanks again!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I free range so if the birds are bored, they aren't bored enough to eat the things in the scrap pile that have spoiled or are not good for them.

That said, anything left on the table we don't want to eat goes out on the ground where the chickens can get to it. Left over veggies, grains, even if cooked with meat, goes out. The meat is usually picked out for the feral cats to eat (they also get cat food once a day), but even then the chickens will chase off the cats to eat the meat.

So what you can eat, so can they.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I thought I heard No to potato skins, avacado and a few other foods? Anyone?

7. I feed mine everything I eat except meat, Idon't feed mine potatopeelings, I feed them to the goat. I usually give them some bread when i turn them out to free graze about 3 o'clock. marrie

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Thank you! I hate throwing out old fruit and veggies so it's nice to know I can give the birds a treat. Does it matter that the beans were cooked with meat? (I don't think there is any actual meat in the beans, but it was cooked with pork back)

All of our birds will be over 15 weeks, so I have some laying pellets to start them on. (Do I offer oyster shell with their feed or in a separate container?

Thanks again!

meat is ok , just in small amounts . I would wait and give them laying pellets around 18 weeks ..... separate container on the oyster shells

I scramble them eggs and give for extra protein ...

I also cook them oatmeal and cooked grits ....
    THEY LOVE RICE. so , I cook 5 cups of rice like 2 or 3 times a week

9. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    I have found that my chickens (they are all bantams) love ripe grape tomatoes, zucchini, gresh corn and cucumbers. They really didn't like the bread until it dried out. we also found that they love grapes. I have noticed that if you give them fresh and whole, it is too hard for them to eat but if you cut it in half, they will have an easier time eating it.

I also like watching them when I feed them fresh 'treats' from the garden. they won't let their 'prize' out of their beaks:lol:

10. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Quote:I heard the same about potato skins.

The avacado I had not heard about, but my dog eats them raw and loves them so I would not end up giving it to the chickens anyway. Can't verify that one.

I did read just today that Onions and Garlic can change the flavor of the eggs, and so to use it sparingly.

I mix in some Garlic powder with their feed to ward off worms/mites/etc. So I guess time will tell. Still waiting for my first egg... [​IMG]

Chickens are omnivores, not only can you give them meat but they love it. I would be sure any meat given to them is cooked up though.

Mainly I would just make sure they are not eating more treats than feed so they get all the nutrients they need.

Also, don't feed them treats until they are a week or two old. But the OP has that one covered. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by