Table Scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Digital, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Chicken Digital

Chicken Digital Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    I always have feed available for my hens, but I often give them left over salad, rice and bread around 2-3 times a week. I've even give them left over cooked eggs (Mashed up). Is this ok?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I do just like you do , and my chicks live long lives. Nothing goes to waste around here. There are those that take a science approach and may have varied opinion. Some things I give them, the chicks just don't eat. It gets thrown out in time. My goal is not to get the most eggs. I want natural eggs. It is good enough for me. 4 of the 7 chicks no longer lay anyways. Seasoned citizens. (old) and 1 lays once in a while. 3 weeks. seasoned as well, about 6 years.
    Way back in time, like about 60 years. my mother would feed our chickens boiled potatoes with skins and chopped up. THAT IS ALL WE HAD. . No 19% layer feed. They free ranged of course. Guess what. Chickens did alright. We ate their eggs and every other Sunday we ate a chicken.
    If you get yourself too worried about your chicken feed, you will loose focus on being happy.
    OH YES WISHING YOU BEST AND WELCOME[​IMG]

3. Chicken Digital

Chicken Digital Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Thank you. I just have to make sure they don't get too fat.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    No worry. If anything starts looking out of line, GET THEM A TREADMILL
    [​IMG]. Lol Lol

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A fat hen makes the best soup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by