1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tadpole eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kathateria, Mar 17, 2016.

1. kathateria

kathateria Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Quick question...
    My dad called round last week,and declined any duck eggs.
    A man in the bar told him,years back,that he boiled 2 for lunch and when he cracked them open,they contained dead tadpoles. Is this possible? Sounds mad to me,but he was very convincing,apparantly

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Doesn't sound possible.
    The tadpole would have to swim up the cloaca and up the reproductive tract past the shell gland.

Sounds like an old wives' tale or urban/rural legend.

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Maybe a partially incubated chick that someone took from a broody hen and then boiled? Doubt very much that it was a tadpole.

4. kathateria

kathateria Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    He reckoned it had eaten the spawn. But it takes weeks to hatch to tadpoles. I'm sure it would need oxygen,and water to hatch,but it does sound far fetched

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It would be virtually impossible for something eaten to hatch and make its way from the digestive tract into the reproductive tract.
    First of all, it would have been digested long before it grew enough to make its way between the 2 systems.

1 person likes this.
  6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yeah...pretty sure it was just small duckling embryos the guy saw in the eggs. Or a flat-out lie. ;)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by