Tag team broodiness

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crealbilly, Jan 25, 2017.

1. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    So funny i have two Buff Orpington hens that are tag teaming about 23 eggs in the community nest. I broke them up tonight though. I candled all their eggs there were and 20 showed growth. I gave each hen 10 eggs each. I built a cage around the community nest box and put 10 eggs in the single nest box right next to the community nest box. Amazing both hens took to sitting as soon as i put the eggs back. I'll also put a cage over the single nest box if i find shes still sitting tomorrow.

If all goes well I should have chicks the 1st and 2nd weeks of February.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Shes got that "dont screw with me" look... Yep i know that look. Stick your hand anywhere near her and she'll draw blood.

11 days into the brood
    [​IMG]

Hen High-rise #2
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Should have new chicks early next week. Its cold outside tonight hope my hens sit tight on those eggs.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I heard lots of chirping but only got a short look at 1 lil Mcnugget. It saw me and darted under momma - I must be big and Scarry -:lol

[​IMG]

The other hen should be hatching out more next week.

5. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I thought this hen hatched out 4 chicks because that's all I seen while looking in on her. But when I picked her up to move her into the nursery yard, a bunch of chicks fell out from under her. I gave her 10 eggs to sit on she hatched out 9 chicks - I say that's eggcellent results. And the best part is I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY MOMMA HEN :thumbs_up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another hen sitting on 10 more eggs that should start hatching next week, if the haven't already.

Is it OK to put both hens and their chicks altogether in a 8x10 nursery yard that's separate from the flock of course?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Kind of a cool picture of momma Buff Orpington and her brood

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by