tagging or marking to identify chicks

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
Next year I'm ordering chicks but they only sell them in a minimum of 25. I'm planning on selling the extra pullets and eating the extra cockerels (only have room for 14 total). How do you keep them marked as they grow? Was thinking about those cheap colored rubber bands for little girls. Will those work or are they too dangerous? The hatchery I'm getting them from will mark the males with a magic marker but I want something that will last longer.

You can make leg bands with colored zip ties, that is how I identify mine. Just keep an eye on them to be sure to replace them if they get too tight as the birds grow, or they could damage the legs. I would worry that the rubber bands would break too easily and the birds would eat them.

Funny story - I hatched a 100 or so chicks not to long ago. It was a pain because I had like 5 breeds I was trying to keep track of. I managed to know who everyone was when they came out of that hatcher. I put the correct color rubber bands on all the chicks so I could brood them all together. The next day i went to work. When i got home (12 hours later) I had approx. 95 rubber bands laying in the bottom of the brooder. The chicks managed to shake them off. From then on I use the zip ties. Just remember to check them for tightness as the chicks grow.

I used to use zip ties too but now I have so may birds I don't worry about it any more. I do band a few but they a fully grown birds so I use leg bands on therm.

Back
Top Bottom