1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tagging to track age?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Omnifowl, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
    It looks like I am going to have a bunch of birds of varying ages from a mixed hatch. I want to tag them somehow to track their age for harvesting purposes. What is available? What experience does anyone have.

Rob

2. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
    I just answered my question with a basic googling! Heh Heh. Still would like to hear experiences.

Rob

3. Omnifowl

Omnifowl Just Hatched

Jan 22, 2017
    N.W. Florida
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I use zip ties. Easy, affordable, available. Come in a lot of different colors and sizes.

Only thing you need to keep track of is, changing out as chicks grow. Start by putting them on as loose as possible, just tight enough they won't slide off over the claws. Gives you longer per tie.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I may have kept to complete records but i use a numbered Zip Wing Band and if I have birds of different ages running on the same walk and am worried that two hens may have identical wing bands, I use a Colored Plastic Spiral leg band to denote the year the hen was hatched.

These leg bands come in 10 different colors and there are 10 years in a decade. Isn't it great when a plan comes together? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by