Tagging Volunteers Needed - Help Tag BYC threads, articles, etc.

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
No, we're not talking about spray paint tagging! This version of tagging is beneficial and helpful to our community and site visitors and we need your help!

Basically, "Tags allow information from around the community to be aggregated together. They are labels that can be added to forum posts or articles to tie pieces of content together to make relevant information easier to find." Here is lots of info about tagging from our FAQ's: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tagging-tutorial

We need your help tagging stuff on BYC! As you're browsing the site, please tag the threads and articles with relevant tags. We especially want to make sure that the most popular and topic specific items on the site are tagged, for example, breed articles, threads, etc.

We have some really great uses of tagging, for example: Cochins:

This thread was tagged with the term "Cochin" and you'll see on the right hand side of this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195235/cochin-thread

You'll notice the cool stuff that now pops up in tagged threads like:

• Related Forum Threads
  • Related Articles
  • Related Breeds & Supplies

We appreciate your help if you tag 1,000 items or just one!

Last edited:
I don't know that there is a limit, but it would probably be good to just stick to a few key tags for each item. We do need to add more "generic" tags, like ones that match the forum topics, e.g., "Hatching Eggs", "Coop Designs" etc. and hope to get that setup shortly.

Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try.

EDIT:: I hit "save" just like the tutorial page said, yet my tags didnt appear on a thread.

Last edited:
How many people do you need?

We don't really have a number of peeps for this project... we mostly just want all our members to keep this in mind when browsing the site. With that said, if a bunch of our members want to go and work on some of the more popular threads (especially breed threads / articles) and tag them with relevant tags, that would be great!

Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try.

EDIT:: I hit "save" just like the tutorial page said, yet my tags didnt appear on a thread.

Hmm.. that's odd. Can you link to the thread you tried and walk us through what you did so we can try it ourselves?

Hmm.. that's odd. Can you link to the thread you tried and walk us through what you did so we can try it ourselves?

Here's what I did, I went to "Browse Tags", selected Other Poultry, then selected Geese from the sub category. Since there are only 2 options in the Manufacturer field, and they didnt apply, I hit the Submit button, thinking it would at lease save the Other Poultry & Geese tags, but it didnt save anything. I think the user has to select something in all the fields or else it wont save. Below is an image.

(i use Mozilla Firefox)

Last edited:
And is there any way to add more tag words to the ones that already exist? For example, adding a tagged word so it'll appear on the Autocomplete option? - let me know if this doesnt make sense, not sure if i'm explaining this correctly

Is there a way to go through the Emergencies section and tag threads that are exceptionally useful so they will appear at the top of people's search lists? Trying to find an answer when searching, especially for people new to BYC and chickens, can be very hard with all the threads. Just

I think this could be very useful>besides the stickys we already have

Last edited:
Great question! Unfortunately tagging doesn't impact searches, but we have a few ideas in the queue, for example; we'd like to curate content from some of the best threads, turn the info into articles, and then promote them in the Learning Center and in search results.

Back
Top Bottom