Tail biting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by epona4, May 5, 2009.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    This morning one of my goslings has started nibbling on the other 3's tails! He's being a royal pest!

They are going to be moved to a large dog crate this afternoon, until then, should I separate him from the rest?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    you can try getting them a toy or something to distract them. You can try parrot toys (the kind that do NOT have calcium blocks on them). Something with a jingle bell, or the kinds that have little balls inside a bigger ball... Anything that'll make noise that they can't rip apart. You can also get them a mirror, which they seem to love sitting by. Also try giving them fresh treats more often, like grass clippings or thawed green beans... They sound like they're bored or maybe a little too squished.

3. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I never considered that they could have toys! I'll have to look for something today.

Would something like a rubber dog ball be ok? The kind that make noise or should it be more like the plastic jingly balls you give parrots? I'm just concerned they might be able to break them, then swallow the plastic bits.

They NIBBLE EVERYTHING!! We had them out yesterday and my 11 yo DD was laying in the grass. They all ran over to her and started nibbling her clothes, her hair, her fingers. She was giggling like crazy which seemed to get the goslings more excited. It was so funny. (But I'm thinking we need to discourage the nibbling, or we'll have 20lb geese nibbling us. [​IMG]

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    rubber balls are not the greatest, my ducks show no interest in them... ether that or they are scared of them. The jingly parrot balls are better because they can easilier make the noise.

None of my ducks have ever been able to break any of the toys we've gotten them... and they have a LOT of toys. I do take a look at the toys every now and then just for good measure... that and to clean them... sometimes they knock them onto the floor of their pen and poop on them. lol.

nibbling seems to be okay, but if they strike you, or peck you hard... you can tap their beaks and tell them "No Biting!" in a firm voice. If they get bad, you can pick them up, hold them so they have to look at you and tell them no biting again. That's what i did with my ducks... I haven't been bitten by a duck since they were babies...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Nibbling isn't the same as biting! [​IMG]

If it were, I'd have goose welts on the ends of my fingers.
    I mean, when you feed them grass they might accidentally pinch you, but if they like you it's never on purpose!

I've heard that if a goose wanted to, it could break the skin. [​IMG]

Which I suppose could happen during the breeding season if you didn't leave them alone maybe...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by