Tail curls = boy, but what if it disappears?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eggs4Sale, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    We have 4 ducks, and all developed the tail curl the same week. Now, months later, three tails no longer have the curled feather. What's up with that?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    sometimes this happens when they molt.

3. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Okay. They do seem to be molting. Especially the mallard, who ironically hasn't lost his curl.

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    We just processed what I was on the fence about a couple days ago. Both my "ducks" turned out to be drakes. I assumed they were because of their curl and then it was comfirmed when we cut them open but one of them had more curl than the other.

5. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    We will be processing these 4 guys soon, but since we've never processed or eaten duck, DH is stalling.

6. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    It was a little rougher on me than doing the chickens. Even though they were anti social, there was just something about them being ducks that made it harder for me to separate my feelings from my logic.

7. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    I understand that completely! They're so harmless, they can't even peck me. They run from me, they're not aggressive. They just seem like fluffy victims. [​IMG]

We have 5 ducklings ready to take their place, though, so I'll have to get over it.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have a chicken hen that developed 2 BIG, LONG, roo feathers then lost them with her first molt. it threw me for a loop, but im glad its a hen!

9. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    It will come back after they molt [​IMG]

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:I stall also - thankfully it does not drive my DH crazy. They taste so good, but the brats are so cute! I usually wait until the boys are driving me nuts - tugging on each other and bothering the girls. Once I am done processing, I feel better/great - just before hand [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by