tail down, no eggs since friday

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melloladies, Sep 22, 2010.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I have a 13 month old EE hen that I got about a week and a half ago. She laid 5 eggs out of 7 days, then starting Monday, I noticed her tail was drooping and she doesn't seem very peppy. I also haven't seen her eat at all today. She hasn't laid at all since friday... what should I be on the lookout for?
    I'm totally new at this, so I've never "checked a chicken's vent" or checked for mites or anything. She had just come of a worming treatment the day I got her (Ivermectin??? Did I get that right??) I'm just not even sure if I should be worried or not, but of course, I'm freaking out!!!
    darn chickens get under your skin so quick! I love her!!!

This is a re-post. I had it in another section of the forum. Hoping to get some answers by posting here instead. Thanks in advance!

2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Do you know how to check for sour crop? I've been through it twice, and both times the first thing I noticed was the chicken acting strange (not hanging out with the rest of the flock), not eating, and looking droopy.

3. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    is sour crop the soft and squashy one? I gave her a hb egg and some yogurt when I got home about an hour ago and let all the girls out in the yard. She seems to have perked up. Gobbled up her treat, that's for sure! She is a new girl, so is it possible the stress of moving just hit her a bit late, and that's why she isn't laying?? As soon as I let her out, she was jumping up on things and exploring... I think she's used to more free range time than I normally give my girls. Do birds get depressed??? so much to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by