1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tail dropped and crown small! Help please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenlips666, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chickenlips666

Chickenlips666 New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    Ant advise would be appreciated.

I was given 5 hens by a friend as she was emigrating to Canada in November 2011. They have all been pretty healthy apart from mites which i cured right away. 2 weeks ago the eggs became a little few and far between but as there were lots of feathers on the ground i put it down to moulting. Last week 1 hen`s tail was pointing to the ground instead of up in the air, she did not run out in the mornings but just strolled out last and was in no hurry like she normally was. She looks tired but is eating and drinking. Sje seems to spend her time alone almost like she wants some peace. Today i have just been out to let them all into the garden and another one has a tail pointing down and as she walks she looks like she is drunk and staggering. All eyes are clean no no muck from any end. No signs of mites or lice... i am baffled!!!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What about worms? When is the last time you treated them?

Molting is the perfect time to treat for worms. The symptoms you are mentioning sound like a heavy infestation.

Symptoms of a chicken with intestinal worms are as follows

• watery runny droppings
    • loss of appetite
    • ceasing of egg laying
    • dehydration
    • going off alone
    • loss of balance (due to weakness from a heavy infestation)
    • dull comb,wattles and eyes

Add additional protein to their diet during molts as well.

3. Chickenlips666

Chickenlips666 New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    I wormed them about february time with pellets that had wormer in them. Pooh seems normal but the other symptoms you have mentioned are preseant. i will worm them tomorrow asap. Thank you

4. aoxa

No problem.

Molting can create some weakness, but the dizziness is worrisome. Worming them can't hurt.

5. Chickenlips666

Chickenlips666 New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    I have just located some verm x so on my way to get it... thank you so much for the info... i will let you know if they pick up x

6. aoxa

I'll hope for the best for you!

7. Chickenlips666

Chickenlips666 New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    Verm x was no good so got some pellets with wormer already mixed in. Hens seem a little better so fingers crossed. thank you for the help, much appreciated x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by